[Sca-cooks] Does anyone have an idea about this??

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Feb 16 16:06:15 PST 2006

On Feb 16, 2006, at 8:03 AM, Denise Wolff wrote:

>  	 	Subject: What on earth is "canada?"
>
> Besides "America's neighbor to the north," I mean.
>
> I was recently given a copy of Recipes from Locust Grove, which is
> a collection including recipes compiled by Elizabeth Breese Morse,
> the mother of Samuel F.B. Morse.  It was compiled prior to 1805,
> most likely during the last quarter of the 18th century, by a woman
> living in New York.
>
> One of her receipts is for "Canada" and starts out with "Pound your
> Canada fine..."
>
> You make a sort of custard by pouring boiling milk and 13 egg yolks
> with loaf sugar on it, then add 3/4 lb. butter with rosewater,
> wine, and nutmeg.
>
> But "Canada" is beyond me.  I don't have access to the original, so
> for all I know it's a misreading - but does anybody have any better
> ideas?
>
> -Rebecca

One idea -- and this is by no means anything but a guess as to a
possibility -- is that somewhere a "p" got turned into a "c", and
you've got a recipe for panade or panada, which at various times was
a porridge-ey / pudding-ey dish made from white bread. That
mysterious ingredient might be stale bread. Modernly, panade survives
as part of the process for making pate á choux, quenelles, and some
souffles, and is made with flour.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782