[Sca-cooks] Lenten ideas for non Christians...

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Mon Feb 20 01:00:54 PST 2006

At 12:35 AM 2/20/2006, you wrote:
>'Lainie mentioned:
> >>>
>I grew up in various fundamentalist churches- no Lenten observation,
>other
>than the little kids waving construction-paper palms on Palm Sunday. My
>parents thought Catholics were idolatrous, so most of medieval Christian
>practice was completely off the map.
><<<
>
>Oh! They don't?

Not the ones I grew up in!

I should ask my Dad what if any observances of Lent there where when he was
a boy- he grew up in Manitoba, in a tight German Mennonite community (Dad
didn't learn English until he went to elementary school). I don't recall
him mentioning any. Mom grew up Baptist. When I was a girl we attended
Conservative Baptist churches for awhile, then a series of Independent
churches (of vaguely Baptistoid flavor) and then Fundamentalist Pentecostal
churches (mostly Assemblies of God). When my kids were small we attended a
Nazarene church, which was similar but less demonstrative. Eastertime
celebrations were generally a choir cantata of some sort that might include
a high-production Passion play, the little kids Palm Sunday thing (with the
paper palm leaves, and a processional), maybe a sunrise service on Easter.
And potted lilies everywhere. We attended a Methodist church briefly when
we lived in Hawaii, and that was the first time I'd ever seen the bit with
the ashes on Ash Wednesday, much less participated in it!

(You may have guessed that we changed churches alot- my Dad has a very
finite amount of time that he can get along with people, and he takes
offense easily.)

>And here I was wondering what the differences between the ways
>medieval Catholics and Orthodox celebrated Lent. I guess it never
>occurred to me that the Protestant churches might be even more
>different, other than less strict.  But then the modern Catholic
>Church seems less strict than the medieval one, in most dogma.
>
>But then I was raised Episcopalian, and I've heard folks call that
>"Catholic Lite".

I've heard that too. :-)

Protestant churches vary a LOT. Beside the experience I had in the
Methodist church, I also understand from my student Laurence (who is a good
Scandanavian Lutheran boy) that much of his tradition is closer to Catholic
or Anglican than to how I grew up. (He's funny- he's grousing a lot
recently because they've started going for a more informal service in his
home church, and he hates it. Especially the 'praise band'. Nothing quite
like a computer jock complaining about newfangledness ;-)

James is Episcopalian, and going to church with him is always a new
experience for me- it is SOOOO different than what I know- it can be more
than a little disorienting. However, it has given me a different insight-
and something of a matrix from which to understand period practice a bit
better. And frankly, I think the robes and the incense and all are cool.
Smells and bells, and I like it. :-)

'Lainie, who really should shut up and go to bed...
"The test of our progress is not whether we add to the abundance of those
who have much. It is whether we provide enough to those who have
little."    ­ Franklin Delano Roosevelt