[Sca-cooks] medieval recipes using tripe

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 07:12:15 PST 2006

Greetings,

In my current project I just happened to just copy a tripe recipe from
Martino. I have never, and most likely will neve, prepared or served
it. Just not my thing. Were I to, it looks like a tasty way to cook
something that has relatively little taste of it's own. Switch out
"tripe" for "Black Eyed Peas" and it would be a tasty dish I would
think. C

Considering how new the publication of this translation of Martino is,
I doubt you have it in your file yet:

Tripe pottage: First of all, tripe should be well cleaned and well
washed; make sure that it is white. To make it tastier, cook well with
a bone taken from salt-cured meat, but to preserve its whiteness do
not add salt; and when done cooking, cut into small pieces and add
some mint, sage, and salt, and bring to a boil. Then serve in bowls,
topped with spices, and with cheese, if desired.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva