[Sca-cooks] A Frumenty Question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Feb 25 23:10:05 PST 2006

Renata asked

Does anyone know of a sweetened frumenty recipe from before 1600? I
found one
for 1653 but I need one from the 14th century, if such exists. The early
recipes I've seen call for milk, eggs and saffron but no sugar.
<<<

Yes. Check this file in the FOOD section of the Florilegium:

frumenty-msg      (62K)  6/21/01    A period cooked grain dish, often
barley.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/frumenty-msg.html

I have pasted two messages from this file here: