[Sca-cooks] Bread machine revisited

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Mon Jan 9 07:38:30 PST 2006

OK, thanks to Adamantius (thank-you, love ;-), who sent me a 20 lb bag of the
chapati flour, I'm getting closer to a good sandwich bread. The recipe I'm
using is from the Oster recipe page:

http://www.oster.ca/recipeslist.aspx?cat=10&name=Breadmakers

 100% Whole Wheat Bread

Whole grain goodness gives this loaf a hearty texture for all your sandwich
fixingsl. Make in an Oster® Breadmaker with whole wheat flour and brown sugar.

Ingredients:

    1-5/8 cups water
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    2 tsp salt
    4 2/3 cups whole wheat flour
    3 tsp active dry yeast

Instructions:

    Measure and add liquid ingredients to the bread pan.
    Measure and add dry ingredients (except yeast) to the bread pan.
    Use your finger to form a well (hole) in the flour where you will pour
the yeast. Yeast must NEVER come into contact with a liquid when you are
adding ingredients. Measure the yeast and carefully pour it into the well.
    Snap the baking pan into the breadmaker and close the lid.
    Press "Select" button to choose the Whole Wheat setting.
    Press the "Crust Color" button to choose light, medium or dark crust.
    Press the "Start/Stop" button.

My variation was to use 1/3 of the "normal" whole wheat flour I had to 2/3 of
the chapatti, high gluten whole wheat, and my machine is configured slightly
differently from the one they're describing- no choice of crust color, and
two choices of whole wheat settings.

Result was a very tasty bread, but it was also very dense. Any ideas about
how to loosen it up a bit?

Phlip