[Sca-cooks] Food rolls and wraps

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 16 21:18:09 PST 2006

Dearest foodies,
            I have an idea kicking around in my head for my combined
Oriental foods class this week (I was going to do China as one and Thai,
Japanese, etc. as another one, but I got laryngitis and had to cancel a
class, so they've been combined).  I was thinking that it might be a
good class to explore the various wraps and rolls that different
cultures do with their foods.  I'm focusing on the Orient for my class,
but in considering what to include, I've been thinking about how many
cultures do this and what the variants are.  I next thought that it
would be a good topic to bring up here :-)

Can you give some examples of wrapped or rolled foods from various
cultures?  What about period examples?

What materials are used to roll things up?  wheat wrappers, rice
wrappers, rice, seaweed, lettuce leaves, grape leaves, dough, cornmeal,
meat, vegetables.

How are they cooked?  Fried, boiled, steamed, baked, raw.

What is inside them?  Meat, fish, vegetables, herbs, starch, cheese,
dairy, sweets.

What are they called?  Egg roll; spring roll; sushi, burrito; pirogues,
samosa, dolmades, gyro, meat pie, dumpling, I don't know  - do those
stray too far into sandwiches?

Discuss.

Christianna