[Sca-cooks] Food rolls and wraps

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 16 22:04:26 PST 2006

Crud.  I think my new Outlook program is editing for me.  When I wrote
out my ideas for each question below, I followed each list with three
dots...to designate that these were starting ideas, in hopes of
inspiring more.  It came across (on my mail, at least) as a single dot
or period.  Please feel free to elaborate on my ramblings, I'm really
interested in seeing how many examples we can come up with.  I don't
think 50 is an outlandish number, I'm sure there are more than that!
Christianna

<snip>

Can you give some examples of wrapped or rolled foods from various
cultures?  What about period examples?

What materials are used to roll things up?  wheat wrappers, rice
wrappers, rice, seaweed, lettuce leaves, grape leaves, dough, cornmeal,
meat, vegetables.

How are they cooked?  Fried, boiled, steamed, baked, raw.

What is inside them?  Meat, fish, vegetables, herbs, starch, cheese,
dairy, sweets.

What are they called?  Egg roll; spring roll; sushi, burrito; pirogues,
samosa, dolmades, gyro, meat pie, dumpling, I don't know  - do those
stray too far into sandwiches?

Discuss.

Christianna