[Sca-cooks] Food rolls and wraps

Finne Boonen finne at cassia.be
Tue Jan 17 02:44:49 PST 2006

something that we call durum here (Belgium), a lebanese flat bread,
wich resembles a huge pancake in appearance, filled with meat and
veggies, and slightly toasted. (fancy
version:http://www.uzbowling.uz/i/foods/Durum%201.jpg, fast food
version: http://blogsimages.skynet.be/images/000/136/329_durum-hum.jpg)

French (or rather Breton?) pancakes, filled with all kinds of food
(cheese,veggies,meat or fruit and other sweet condiments). In France
they get served at roadsidestalls in a folded version rather then
rolled (http://www.cassia.be/gallery/v/Misc/food/?g2_page=3 for
pictural explanation)

Finne

On 1/17/06, Christine Seelye-King <kingstaste at mindspring.com> wrote:
> Dearest foodies,
>             I have an idea kicking around in my head for my combined
> Oriental foods class this week (I was going to do China as one and Thai,
> Japanese, etc. as another one, but I got laryngitis and had to cancel a
> class, so they've been combined).  I was thinking that it might be a
> good class to explore the various wraps and rolls that different
> cultures do with their foods.  I'm focusing on the Orient for my class,
> but in considering what to include, I've been thinking about how many
> cultures do this and what the variants are.  I next thought that it
> would be a good topic to bring up here :-)
>

> Can you give some examples of wrapped or rolled foods from various
> cultures?  What about period examples?
>
> What materials are used to roll things up?  wheat wrappers, rice
> wrappers, rice, seaweed, lettuce leaves, grape leaves, dough, cornmeal,
> meat, vegetables.
>
> How are they cooked?  Fried, boiled, steamed, baked, raw.
>
> What is inside them?  Meat, fish, vegetables, herbs, starch, cheese,
> dairy, sweets.
>
> What are they called?  Egg roll; spring roll; sushi, burrito; pirogues,
> samosa, dolmades, gyro, meat pie, dumpling, I don't know  - do those
> stray too far into sandwiches?
>

> Discuss.
>
> Christianna

"Maybe you knew early on that your track went from point A to B, but
unlike you I wasn't given a map at birth!" Alyssa, "Chasing Amy"
http://hekla.rave.org/cookbook.html - my crossplatform dieet/recipe app