[Sca-cooks] Royal University of Meridies Hands-On Classes

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 30 22:58:36 PST 2006

Greetings all,
            This year, our annual RUM event will be held in south
Georgia on June 3rd, 2006.  I have included the message from the Dean
with more details about the site.  The School of Culinary Sciences will
have a building with a home-style kitchen available in it, where the
plan is to hold hands-on classes during the day.  These can be one-hour
or longer classes.  If you are interested in teaching a hands-on class
in the culinary, agricultural, herbal, brewing and vintning or food
history areas, please contact me.
I think this will be a very exciting year, and I am looking forward to
having a day to 'play' in the kitchen!
Mistress Christianna MacGrain,
Dean, School of Culinary Sciences, Royal University of Meridies

The bid for RUM/KA&S has been awarded to the Shire of Marion Glen in
Americus, GA. The site is GA Southwestern State College. All of the
rooms are air conditioned. We have a virtually unlimited number of
classes but we do not need to go crazy! I would like to encourage a
number of hands-on classes this year as we will be able to be cool
enough for folks to stay in class long enough to make something without
having heat stroke. RUM will be paying for the materials for these
classes up to a set amount (we have to make sure we are under the
inurement limit and we don't have an unlimited budget!). I would like to
see one hands on class in each track, if possible. I am sure that if
your college doesn't lend itself to that, we can come up with a class of
some other sort. I am picturing the hands-on classes as running two
hours rather than the usual one but that isn't written in stone. This
site has a number of things that offer us some opportunities for classes
that we have not had in the past.  If you think of something you would
like to do that might be possible let me know and we will check with the
autocrats and see if those type facilities are available. For example,
they have a kitchen that Mistress Christianna will be making use of for
at least some of her culinary arts classes. I am also told that they
have a pottery workshop that can be at our disposal for classes on the
pottery wheel and similar things (not a potter so I don't know what all
of those things are! LOL). They also have a glass workshop and the
professor in charge has offered to teach a class on the history of glass
and offer gentles the opportunity to try their hand at glass blowing.
There are also two different types of class rooms available, please let
us know which would be best for your classes so we can schedule them as
best we can. The choices are: auditorium-type lecture halls (but small,
the size of a normal classroom) and regular classrooms with tables and
chairs (better for hands on type things).

I see the scheduling this year to be the biggest difficulty in combining
RUM and KA&S. To that end, as you line up teachers could you please have
them (or you) send us any potential conflicts. For example, I have
already been contacted by a teacher who can't conflict with the Laurel
meeting or the Performing Arts competition. I think we can expect a lot
of this and having this information up front, rather than having to go
searching for it, will help immeasurably. I know that some of these
meetings get scheduled at the last moment.

I will also be posting classes here for RUM in order to most quickly get
them to Muirghein and for everyone to have some idea what is going on. I
know I am asking for lots of information but it will be very helpful in
the long run. I have already had many contacts about this year's RUM and
there seems to be a lot of excitement already being generated (Air
conditioning in June will do that!).

Really looking forward to working with all of you on this,

Miramah