[Sca-cooks] Re: Sculpey molds and/or decorations

RUTH EARLAND rtannahill at verizon.net
Tue Jan 31 05:43:15 PST 2006

Brighid ni Chiarain wrote:

> I use a Sculpy mold (and a couple of pottery ones) to make my marzipan
> peach pits.  To the best of my knowledge, no one has died yet.  Sculpy
> is labelled non-toxic, and though I wouldn't use it for a coffee mug, I
> don't thiink that brief contact with food is hazardous.
>
> I found a link to a material safety study at the manufacturer's website:
> http://www.sculpey.com/Products/PR_ACMI.htm
>
> I am not a chemist or any kind of medical professional -- perhaps
> someone with better qualifications could take a look at this and comment?
>
> --
> Brighid ni Chiarain
> Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
> Robin Carroll-Mann *** rcmann4 at earthlink.net

Well, I am a chemist, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it for something which
will contact food briefly. I read the results of the materials study in the
link provided and am satisfied that the safety of the product in question is
fine to use as a mold. To summarize, the study found no harmful effects in
dosages up to 24 mg/day. Put another way, if someone actually ate the
Sculpey, the person would have to eat something the size of a peppercorn
each and every day to consume more than the amount found safe by the study.
And even then, they are not saying it would be harmful, just that they don't
know what it would do.

The study indicates that a marginally greater exposure risk is present
during baking, and even then only at temperatures that blacken the Sculpey.
So if you want to minimize the risk of exposure, you could make sure you use
the exhaust fan and ventillate the kitchen as much as possible.

As I suspected, though, the safety issues are connected to the dyes. The
phthalates mentioned usually show up as blue or green dyes. So if you want
to be extra safe, use the white sculpey, which is probably colored with
titanium dioxide, a biologically inert material used to lend opacity to
non-dairy creamer.

Berelinde Cynewulfdohtor
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
mka Ruth Tannahill