[Sca-cooks] Oh, Drakey....

Terri Morgan online2much at cox.net
Sun Jan 1 20:55:18 PST 2006

> I'd dearly love to see the pilot explain to the
> air people how he got hit by a rock thrown from
> the ground, while he was supposedly safely flying
> along, minding his own business.

  This is so very off-topic but I can't resist (food content to follow).
When I was in the US Navy, lo these many (many many) years ago, there was a
lawsuit that hit the news about a shepherd in Oregon who had a run-in with
the test pilots nearby. Seemed the pilots liked to buzz his sheep, up there
on the slopes of the mountain. Faced with financial distress, he called and
called the local base but got no help or acknowledgement of the validity of
his complaint. "The navy does not allow its pilots to fly below legal
limits. You must be mistaken."
   So he lost his temper and told them that the next time the darn things
spooked his herd (of very expensive breed), he was gonna shoot the danged
planes.
   You got it. He shot at a few of them with his rifle and within two weeks
had a nice bill from the Navy for the cost of damages. Guess they thought
that because he was a shepherd, he was stupid. He and his lawyer filed a
lawsuit for damages to the herd, citing the distance a shotgun could fire
and do damage to a metal sheet, using the navy's bill as proof against them.
The Navy settled.
   As a new Petty Officer, I admit - I had many a chortle over it. Don't
mess with Oregonians. Heh.

Food content: When baking apples for desserts, which type do you prefer?
While I think that Granny Smiths are the tastiest, I know they are modern.
Since I eat them and Royal Delicious almost exclusively, I am unfamiliar
with the tastes and advantages of other strains. (Of course, this is
assuming that I can *find* whatever anyone recommends, but our commissary
has a wide selection so I'm hoping.)

Hrothny