[Sca-cooks] Cleaning Cupboards

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 5 07:49:43 PST 2006

>Over the weekend we got into a cleaning frenzy. My spice cupboard was hit hard. Ground spices/herbs that I felt or knew were at least a year old went out. There are some whole spices that are at least that old that I'm keeping.
>
>Please, is there a better rule of thumb to go by?

>Molli Rose

I suggest the rule of nose, instead.  Some spices lose their potency more quickly than others.  Cinnamon lasts much longer than coriander.  It also depends on how the spices are stored.  You want to keep them away from light, heat, and moisture.

Take a whiff, or sprinkle a small amount on a piece of bread, plain chicken, or other appropriate food.  If it's just a little weaker, you can sinply increase the amount you use.  If it's tasteless, stale, or rancid, pitch it.

Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom