[Sca-cooks] Cleaning Cupboards

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 5 08:20:44 PST 2006

6 months or so for dried herbs (green leafies)
6 months to 1 year or so for ground spices
2 years + for whole spices, longer for heavier/thicker things like
peppercorns, chunks of root, etc.

Just rules of thumb, mind you.  Smell and looks and taste are the best way
to tell.  Many things are fine if you use a bit more, some things (like
dried parsley) just end up tasting like dirt, and more just tastes like more
dirt.  Mileage will definitely vary.
Christianna
home to older seasonings than all of the above!

Over the weekend we got into a cleaning frenzy. My spice cupboard was hit
hard. Ground spices/herbs that I felt or knew were at least a year old went
out. There are some whole spices that are at least that old that I'm
keeping.

Please, is there a better rule of thumb to go by?

Thank you,

Molli Rose