[Sca-cooks] Any good Lamb recipes?

Fairy Tale Designs avrealtor at prodigy.net
Sun Jan 8 10:20:08 PST 2006

I agre,, lamb is horrible overcooked.  Have had it that way , it is nasty. Done right and it is wonderful.  hadn't know that about bacon, knew it was great for lean meats.  Thank you.

  -Muiriath

marilyn traber 011221 <phlip at 99main.com> wrote:
  > I was recently asked to cook feast for an event in June. The
> autocrats had requested a main dish with Lamb (with a choice of
> chicken for those who don't like lamb) Anyway, it is have been some
> time since I have cooked lamb, and then it was a simple roast barded
> with garlic and rosemary . Anyone have any recipe they would like to
> share? The feat will have about 100-150 people.
>
> I wasn't given any specific region or time that they wanted me to
> stick with, so it is pretty much open. As for a budget, that hasn't
> been determined yet, but I would like to give them a few choices
> (inexpensive, moderate and oh my gosh how much?)
>
> Rosemary is out though (His Majesty is allergic to it)
>
> -Muiriath

Two that rather run the range as far as expense would be the Bal Po Stew from
Soup for the Qan (primarily leg of lamb abd chickpeas/garbanzos. The other
would be Sabina Welserin's Easter Lamb in a fence of butter. Since it
requires an entire suckling lamb, it would tend to be pretty pricy.

The big thing you need to remember about lamb is that it's a rather delicate,
but strongly flavored (for those who aren't used to it) meat. Despite the
many US cookbooks who want you to cook it to well done, it's actually at its
best rare or medium rare. Cooking it to well done will give you strong
tasting shoe leather. Even boiling it too long in a stew wuill give you
strong tasting chewy bits.

One suggestion, as you look over recipes, is that if you cook it with bacon,
it eases the strong, lamby taste considerably, as does minimizing the fat.
I've fed lamb to people who think they don't like it (because usually their
only experience has been with strong tasting shoe leather, a la various well
meaning cafeterias) by taking loin chops, defatting and deboning them, and
wrapping them in a bacon strip, like people do with filet mignon, and
broiling or baking them.

And yes, rosemary and mint are the most common and tasty accompani\ying
spices for lamb (as long as you stay away from most nasty commercial mint
jellies) but many other flavors go very well with it- juniper berries, as an
example.

Phlip