[Sca-cooks] Lamb

TheBard3 thebard3 at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 8 12:04:19 PST 2006

Looked through one of my notebooks, found a recipe that goes with what I
already sent.  Anyway, here's the recipe as it was given to me, feel free to
change, use, whatever...

Mechoui, Roasted Lamb, serves 8 to 10

Measurements are for a 6-7lb leg of lamb (around 3 kg)

1 tablespoon Peprika sweet or hot (if useing sweet add 1/4 tea cayenne)
1/2 teaspoon each Cumin, herbs of choice (rosemary and thyme work well)
1 teaspoon each, salt, black pepper, lemon zest
Big pinch saffron (ground)
Mix with room temp better wet with about a tablespoon of lemon juice and
oil.

Trim lamb if needed, needs some fat to stay moist but not so much it burns.
Rub with compound butter and let set 2-3 hours (overnight if possible).

Preheat oven to 350.
Get a roasting pan with a lid and rack.  Pour in a wineglass of water, place
lamb in flesh side down and roast for 2.5 hours, basting every 20 min.  Be
sure you seal pan with foil so moisture doesn't escape.  Make sure lamb does
not dry out! Add water if needed, if this dish dries out it's not fit for
dogs.  Flip once to make sure top of lamb doesn't dry out.

After this turn the test to see if it's soft.  If not keep covered and keep
basting till it is.  Once lamb is tender, but still moist, turn skin side
up, uncover, and turn heat to 400 and leave till skin is browned and crispy.

Serve with roasted onions, eggplant, flatbread and more fresh ground cuman
mixed with salt..