[Sca-cooks] Egg Whites

Carole Smith renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 8 15:54:38 PST 2006

A couple of thoughts:

  At our kingdom Twelfth Night yesterday I was served hazlenut meringues that appeared to be homemade.  The hazlenuts had clearly been ground up and mixed with the eggwhite before baking.  I don't know if meringues are period.

  Recently I candied some fresh pumpkin, which called for the sugar syrup to be boiled daily and clarified every second day.  Fresh egg whites are good for clarifying liquids  to remove tiny food particles that aren't caught by straining.

  Cordelia Toser

Kerri Martinsen <kerrimart at mindspring.com> wrote:
    I saved about 7 gallons of egg white from the Atlantian 12th night feast
this weekend. (the result of making custard) I am preparing a feast on Jan
28th - any suggestions?
1) I have freezer space to freeze them.
2) I would love to make something OTHER than Divinity or angelfood cake if I
can help it.
3) What would the period cook have done with them? I have no pigs to feed
them too :)

Vitha