[Sca-cooks] Re: Serving Royalty

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jan 8 22:50:39 PST 2006

Alys Katharine replied to me with:

Stefan wrote:
 > Alys, if you could check this and make sure I have your contact info
 > correct I would appreciate it. I know I probably have some other
 > articles of yours that I may need to change your contact info in,
 > including adding your new rank of "Dame".

Everything looks okay.  The diamond shapes with question marks
instead of
quotation marks or apostrophes are a bit distracting, though.
<<<

Oh, #$%#! I've been noticing that happening in my index files. The
problem there is that I edit those files in raw HTML text and I
apparently need to replace single quotation marks with the HTML
encodings. But if they are showing up in the HTML version of an
article, it means that Word is doing something screwy when it
generates the HTML or my conversion program which turns Word's HTML
into nice looking HTML is either not correcting something in the HTML
or has its own error.

I'll take a look at this.

Thank you for the kind comments!  <blush>  FYI, "Dame" is my "old"
rank dating
back to 1992.  "Countess" is the new one, but somehow seems to fit less
comfortably than "Dame".
<<<

Oh! Not being that familiar with most of the substitute SCA titles, I
think I saw one of your bylines which said "Dame Alys Katharine
(Countess)" and assumed that the part in parenthesis was clarifying
for the ignorant what the "Dame" meant.

And, title stacking isn't accurate says the herald side of me.
<<<

Correct.

So, print whichever you prefer.
<<<

I usually select the one that goes best with the subject of the
article. In this case, since as I mentioned this has added importance
since it is written by someone who has both served and sat at the
head table, and both apply I will probably change that to use
"Countess".

I would hope that the
ideas presented would carry more weight than whatever title was
used.  <g>
<<<

Less the title itself than that it indicates you might have
experience in the area being discussed.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas