[Sca-cooks] Tomatoes

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Wed Jan 11 06:44:24 PST 2006

> So locally they could have been accepted even earlier like in Spain
> specifically . Or at least gathering acceptance as a food item in
> general. Which would give Valencia Paella a better chance of being
> even earlier then I  are thinking. So 1550-1600 for Valencia Paella
> sounds reasonable. I keep going back that far cause some where in my
> notes is a City celebration before 1600 hundred which mentions
> Paella. Got to go find that laters. Anyway last item on a long list
> of research was tomatoes much thanks. Unfortunately Grewe`s is not
> in the local Library yet, and I have seen nobody with a copy either.
>  I have a request in for it but it might make it here in time to
> use. So I am one of those going Who, cause up to now I never
> actually had the pleasure of reading him. But I am going to. Da

You might want to slow down a bit. Just because there was a dish called
paella pre-1600, doesan't mean it contained tomatoes. As an example for
comparison, there was most definitely a dish called gazpacho pre-1600, but
extant recipes show no tomatoes- it seems it was called gazpacho because  it
used soaked bread as a thickener.

Phlip