[Sca-cooks] Tomatoes

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 11 07:41:45 PST 2006

Da wrote:

>>So locally they could have been accepted even earlier like in Spain
>>specifically . Or at least gathering acceptance as a food item in
>>general. Which would give Valencia Paella a better chance of being
>>even earlier then I  are thinking. So 1550-1600 for Valencia Paella
>>sounds reasonable. I keep going back that far cause some where in my
>>notes is a City celebration before 1600 hundred which mentions
>>Paella. Got to go find that laters. Anyway last item on a long list
>>of research was tomatoes much thanks. Unfortunately Grewe`s is not
>>in the local Library yet, and I have seen nobody with a copy either.
>> I have a request in for it but it might make it here in time to
>>use. So I am one of those going Who, cause up to now I never
>>actually had the pleasure of reading him. But I am going to. Da
>>

>You might want to slow down a bit. Just because there was a dish called
>paella pre-1600, doesan't mean it contained tomatoes. As an example for
>comparison, there was most definitely a dish called gazpacho pre-1600, but
>extant recipes show no tomatoes- it seems it was called gazpacho because  it
>used soaked bread as a thickener.
>
>Phlip
>_______

I must concur with Phlip.  Compare the term "blancmange" as used in the
Middle Ages [rice and chicken] and Modern Day [sweet molded jellied milk].

Before Stefan says so, you might also check the Flori-thingie's entry on
Paella:
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/paella-msg.html
[Ha, beat him to it!]

Selene Colfox