[Sca-cooks] Tomatoes( was Philip)

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jan 12 16:34:48 PST 2006

Actually, I see many questions to be answered.

Are there any dishes preceding the Medieval period that resemble paella?
What are they?  Where do they originate?  Are the possible harbingers of
paella?  I kinda think paella derives from some similar Roman recipes, but I
haven't seriously pursued it.

What similar dishes appear in the Medieval and Spanish corpus?  How do they
compare with some of the modern recipes for paella?

When did the name of the dish and the name of the pan it's cooked in become
synonymous?

When do tomatoes first make their appearance in paella?  How does the
original paella with tomatoes compare to the modern recipe?

Lots of fun research there.

Bear