[Sca-cooks] medieval dog recipes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jan 16 22:55:00 PST 2006

Capt. Elias answered my question with:

 > In part I was kidding. However, I would be interested in any
 > >evidence of dogs being eaten in our period and area of study.

I believe that in the voyages of Martin Frobisher to find the
NorthWest Passage, they cooked Eskimo dogs and noted various
anatomical differences between them and European dogs...
<<<

When was this? Was this before 1600 CE?

I agree on the tastes of sailors. I think there are other reports of
them eating penquins and the like. This probably lies in the outlying
region of things eaten during sieges or famines. But while not
something which would be served to Lords and Ladies, much less
Royalty, probably worth our study.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas