[Sca-cooks] "the Coopers" was Pennsic history

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sun Jul 30 17:24:24 PDT 2006

I wrote:

It is also my belief that certain elements of  "the Coopers" actively
attempted to squelch the site of the 25th Year Celebration.  I gained  this
opinion from personal conversations at the time with certain non-SCA
personnel, i.e. a public official in one case, who were connected with the
site negotiations from the other side.

Was written in reply:

* As we were not privy to your conversation which would also be deemed
hearsay as you were not a part of the original conversation (I am not saying
that the public official lied to you but that you were getting "his"
interpretation of events)  and lack of the description of what "squelching
the event" means or what they allegedly did to try to achieve this. Leaves
me with very little to make an assessment of it's validity.

My reply:

Ok I'm not a lawyer, this is not a court of law and I'm not sure what
constitutes hearsay but when I have a public official, the mayor of a small
Texas town if I recall correctly, tell me after the event that certain of
"the Coopers" just happened by prior to the event while on their way to
somewhere else I listened.  When I heard him say that they had filled his
ears with unflattering comments regards the SCA I listened.  When he told me
that they had gone to the extent of  advising him how much should charged
us, I listened.  Among the things he said was that we were not anything like
what was suggested by them.  I left the conversation with the distinct
impression that he felt that their visit had been made with the intent of
scuttling the event.  By the way if you have ever been to the part of Texas
the 25th Year Celebration was held you will realize that it is kind of a
back water and not really on the main route to anywhere from Pennsylvania.

I wrote:

<<I also heard, although I  admit that this is hearsay and not based on
direct personal knowledge,  that  "the Coopers" attempted to squelch the
site for
"Gulf Wars"  early on.>>>

In reply was written:

*Question, why would "Gulf" Wars have been in Pennsylvania? Perhaps asking
those that put on Gulf Wars if they have any knowledge as to the "original"
planned location of Gulf Wars.

My reply:

Sorry I left you with such an odd impression.  My understanding was that in
trying to squelch the site of Gulf Wars it was though that "the Coopers"
were attempting to eliminate a potential rival to Pennsic by taking steps to
prevent Gulf Wars from ever occurring.

Now all that being said you can believe what I've written or not... tis your
choice.

People of honor can in good conscience differ.

I believe these things to be true and that is one of the reasons I have not
attended Pennsic in quite a number of years.

Daniel, who hopes that some light has been provided without to much heat
being generated as a result.