[Sca-cooks] First cookbooks

Stephanie Ross hlaislinn at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 22 09:55:45 PDT 2006

Huette wrote:

For a collector like you, probably e-Bay isn't a good place, but
for a beginner, I have seen a lot of good books up for auction there.
King's/Queen's Taste is currently there, Dining with William Shakespeare,
Pleyn Delit, 1000 Eggs, Savouring the Past, and a whole lot more

I'm careful when I buy books off Ebay anymore. I use Ebay for researching
books (again, don't laugh!), but I then go out to Amazon or addall.com and
find out what they are really selling for before I bid. If I really want
the book I just buy it outright. Generally I just buy the cheapest copy
because I am interested in the info in the book, not really in having a
pristine copy of the book itself. I just copied the whole book of Madeline
Pelner Cosman's _Medieval Holidays and Festivals_ at Staples because it
only cost about $4 for the copy and the book was more expensive. It was a
library copy, but I didn't feel the need to own it. I did find that it was
a source for the first two "medieval" recipes I ever owned - Payn Pur Dew
and Rose Petal Bread. I got the recipes from the feastcrat at my 1 yr
anniversay event (1983), but never knew the source. Out of nostalgia I
decided to copy it, and now we are thinking about doing a Twelth Night
event using some ideas from her book. I haven't read the whole thing, and
I'd love to hear your opinions on how inaccurate it might be.

~Aislinn~
Et si omnes ego non.

"The care of human life and happiness and not their destruction is the
first and only legitimate object of good government." --Thomas Jefferson to
Maryland Republicans, 1809.