[Sca-cooks] After-action dinner report

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Fri Jun 2 22:55:35 PDT 2006

At 03:50 PM 5/31/2006, you wrote:

>On May 31, 2006, at 6:01 PM, Laura C. Minnick wrote:
>
> > I used a chicken rather than a capon in the first recipe, and
> > discovered
> > while cooking that I didn't have dates in the food box. The rest
> > was pretty
> > well according to Hoyle. And it was gobsmacking delicious. Smelled
> > good
> > too. Did discover Monday evening after I got home that it does not
> > reheat
> > well. Tasted like soap. :-p But it tasted great when first made,
> > and was
> > really pretty easy, just boiling, and required one pot and a
> > serving tray.
>
>You might be able to make it ahead without the citrus peel (is rind
>involved???) -- use the juice only, and then add the peel, grated,
>shredded or whatever, before reheating as much of it as you want...
>I'd bet that's the source of your soap flavor.

Nope- I'm certain that it was the rosewater. Here's the recipe, from the
'Good Housewife's Jewell':

>  To boile a Capon with Orenges and Lemmons
>
>Take Orenges or Lemmons pilled, and cutte them the long way, and if you
>can keepe your cloves whole and put them into your best broth of Mutton or
>Capon with prunes or currants and three or fowre dates, and when these
>have beene well sodden put whole pepper great mace, a good piece of suger,
>some rose water, and eyther white or claret Wine, and let al these seeth
>together a while, and so serve it upon soppes with your capon.

My mom used to use a rose soap when I was a kid (her name is Rose), and I
had occasion to taste it. (don't ask.) Tasted remarkably like this dish.
Question is, was reheating an issue for them? And did I simply use too much
rosewater? It was just a small *shplorp*, but maybe their idea of 'some' is
different than mine...

> > I did have a question about the instructions though.
> > There is
> > a line that says: "then grate two kinds of cheese, that is one mild
> > and one
> > medium, and then put eggs with it, yolk and white, and grate them
> > in with
> > the cheese". I was a bit perplexed at the 'grating' of the eggs. I
> > put the
> > eggs in raw and mixed them, but I can see how it might be read as
> > grating
> > in boiled eggs. But that sort of doesn't make sense, so grate
> > boiled eggs
> > into a pie. Does anyone have ideas?
>
>Lots of egg recipes call for them to be strained to remove any of
>several forms of funkiness: bits of shell, guano, embryos, whatever.
>It's possible that either you just put them in a bowl and grate the
>cheese on top of it, mixing periodically and well, or maybe the eggs
>get passed through the grater as a rudimentary straining process. The
>end result is for the products to be well-mixed, and using only the
>one bowl. Whether the eggs are to be cooked, I don't know, but I
>suspect not.

Hmm. I would have thought that if that was the case, they'd say that it
should be put through a 'straynour'. Which is why I'm wondering. I think
that putting grated boiled eggs into it would make for a different texture.
But I'm not sure that I want to try it to find out. Anyone else want to be
a guinea pig?

> > The Tarte of Stawberries is alarmingly pink- 'Barbie' pink- when
> > uncooked,
> > and only a little less so when baked, but is absolutely delicious. And
> > yummy for breakfast, what little was left.
>
>Wasn't there something about Crown Tourney Barbie with court and
>wench garb a few years back? That must be what she eats...
>
>Adamantius

Adamanitus, when was the last time you got a good look at a Barbie? She
doesn't eat! She just looks at the pictures of food in the kitchen of her
Barbie Town-House and gets by on that. If she ate anything, she'd look like
a Weeble!

'Lainie