[Sca-cooks] Madeleine P. Cosman has passed on

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 22 17:18:42 PST 2006

> On Mar 22, 2006, at 7:37 PM, Terri Morgan wrote:
>
>>  Dr. Cosman, author of the notorious Fabulous Feasts, has died in
>> California.
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/19/nyregion/19cosman.html
>> and
>> http://hnn.us/roundup/entries/23018.html
>
> It's a popular pastime to dump on her in SCA circles, but say what we
> will, she did sort of help bring our joint field of interest into the
> mainstream.
>
> Adamantius
>

> "S'ils n'ont pas de pain, vous fait-on dire, qu'ils  mangent de la
> brioche!" / "If there's no bread to be had, one has to say, let them
> eat cake!"
>     -- attributed to an unnamed noblewoman by Jean-Jacques Rousseau,
> "Confessions", 1782
>
> "Why don't they get new jobs if they're unhappy -- or go on Prozac?"
>     -- Susan Sheybani, assistant to Bush campaign spokesman Terry
> Holt, 07/29/04

Yup...when we started, we didn't have the wealth of information that we
have now.  Many of the cookbooks, etc., that have been published over
the past few years, didn't exist except occasionally in a library.  When
I first started cooking in the SCA, all we had was Duke Cariadoc's
reprint of a number of cookery books in a single binder (and since my
copy had to have been a fourth or fifth generation copy, barely
readable!), "How to Cook Forsoothly", and this book, which at least gave
us good information about food history.  I was fortunate to have a
friend who photocopied an old translation of Platina for me.  But that
was about it.  And, as Master A. points out, her recipes may not be good
redactions, but the food history part of the book is excellent.

Kiri