[Sca-cooks] Title of an ex-Viceroy

Karin Burgess avrealtor at prodigy.net
Tue May 23 08:05:50 PDT 2006

  Q: What is a Viceroy/Vicereine?
  A: According to the Oxford English Dictionary, a Viceroy or Vicereine is "One who acts as the governor of a country, province, etc. in the name and by the authority of the supreme ruler; a vice-king." Originally, as the "Seat" of the East Kingdom, Ostgardr was ruled directly by the Crown; for the past few decades it has been ruled by a Viceroy and Vicereine as representatives of the Crown. According to Kingdom law, the Viceroy and Vicereine of Ostgardr outrank all other landed barons, regardless of their dates of elevation, and indeed take precedence over all but royal peers. Within the Crown Province (at least according to one knowledgeable source), they take precedence over royal peers as well, except the current King, Queen, Crown Prince, and Crown Princess.
  (Summarized from information provided by Yosef ben Lazar, Seahorse Pursuivant, and Master Ian, Viceroy of Ostgardr.)

  From :http://www.ostgardr.org

  So it seems it is a unique title.  I guess someone could contact the current Viceroy or Viceriene of Østgarðr, see what They will be called :)

  This information pertains to just this example though. other places may use it differently. Like Reeve/ess or Vicor/ess.  At least here in Caid, the term Reeve/ess is used for the acknowledged heirs to a Barony.  Though when my husband and had been chosen, we had been given a choice to use either.  Feeling that Vicro/ess had too much of a religious feel to it, we stayed with Reeve/ss. I know that Vicor/ess in other areas is used for someone who has been asked to step in when things go wrong in a Barony (that was another reason we didn't want to use it)

  -Muiriath