[Sca-cooks] Chicken Breast Salad with Warm Curry Dressing

tom.vincent at yahoo.com tom.vincent at yahoo.com
Wed May 24 04:03:46 PDT 2006

>From the weekly 'Splendid Table' e-mail.  Some interesting points about curry powder and substitutions.  Enjoy!

Duriel

Chicken Breast Salad with Warm Curry Dressing
Excerpted from The New York Times Chicken Cookbook edited by Linda Amster. © 2005 by The New York Times. Used by permission of St. Martin's Press, New York. All Rights Reserved.
4 servings
The curry dressing can be made in advance. Mix mustard, curry powder, balsamic vinegar, chopped scallions, olive oil, salt, pepper and herbs of your choice. While the chicken is cooking, warm the curry dressing over a low flame. When the chicken is ready, lay it over greens and pour on the dressing.
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, about 1 1/4 pounds
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried
2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 head radicchio, about 1/4 pound, core removed, rinsed and dried
2 heads bibb lettuce, core removed, rinsed and dried
1/4 pound arugula, cut into manageable pieces, rinsed and dried
Warm Curry Dressing (recipe follows)
1 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil or chervil
1. If chicken breasts are connected, separate halves and cut away membrane or fat. Place oil in mixing bowl with lemon juice, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir well. Add chicken pieces and turn them in the marinade to coat well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
2. Preheat a charcoal grill or broiler.
3. Put the chicken pieces on the grill or the broiler rack. Cover and grill or close broiler. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, turning pieces. Continue cooking until done, about 3 to 5 minutes on the grill, possible longer under the broiler.
4. Remove chicken breasts and slice each on the bias about 1/4-inch thick.
5. In a large mixing bowl add the radicchio, bibb lettuce and arugula. Toss well. Add half the warm dressing and toss again. Place the sliced chicken over the salad and sprinkle with the remaining dressing and basil.
Warm Curry Dressing
About 1 cup
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1/3 cup olive or vegetable oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil or chervil
Place the mustard, curry powder, vinegar and scallions in a saucepan. Blend well over low heat with a wire whisk. Add the oil, blending well. Remove from the heat and add salt, pepper and basil. Keep warm.
LYNNE'S TIPS
When Pierre Franey created this recipe, curry powder was about all you could get of Indian style seasonings. I say "style" because, of course, curry powder was created by the British. Flavorings for Indian curry vary from dish to dish, place to place, and family to family.

My point is try using Garam Masala instead of the curry powder, adding hot chile to the mix if you would like. Although Garam Masala differs from curry blends, it is excellent here, and far more authentic.

Another alternative is to blend your own curry flavoring from black pepper, turmeric, Cumin, coriander, fenugreek, cardamom, and the like.

Substitute other tart greens for the radicchio and arugula. Try curly endive, escarole, mustard greens or watercress. Mild greens like loose-leaf lettuces, butterhead and romaine can stand in for bibb. Go for balance when mixing greens. Use pungent bitter greens as an accent to milder ones. And don't overlook ordinary iceberg for its crunch.

Tom Vincent
When shall it be said in any country of the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance or distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes not oppressive; the rational world is my friend because I am friend of its happiness; when these things can be said, then may that country boast of its constitution and government.
-- Tom Paine