[Sca-cooks] regional shopping - was black pudding

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Wed May 24 06:51:59 PDT 2006

I think it might also be a regional thing with in the U.S. One of
the things I think is fun is to go into grocery stores when I
travel. Things that we find common place down here are unheard of
up North and vice versa. Seriously, I wouldn't expect to walk into
a grocery store in, say, Pennsylvania, and find over half the
aisle taken up by barbecue/grilling sauces and salsas.

One of my volunteer jobs when I lived in Germany was teaching the
incoming spouses how to shop on the economy. That included visits
to the local grocery store and the farmer's market. One of the
traditional warnings was that the white liquid in the milk bottle
wasn't milk, it was liquid yogurt...quite a surprise if you are
taking a big swig expecting milk.

The other interesting thing is that they still hold to the
tradition of only shopping for a few days worth of food at a time.
That is why it is considered "rude" to just drop in on someone
instead of calling and making an appointment. They want to make
sure they have food to provide hospitality. This can be a strange
concept for most Americans who shop for a week's worth of
groceries at at time and usually have cupboards and freezers full
of food as backup. Most German (and I think this is common across
Europe) only have small refrigerators and even smaller freezers.

Just thought I'd toss that bit of trivia out there.
Ysabeau