[Sca-cooks] Adventures in Sausage Making

Fairy Tale Designs avrealtor at prodigy.net
Mon May 15 14:46:45 PDT 2006

So I did a trial run to speak, see how all this works out.

  First thing, it takes alot longer to stuff the casing then I expected.  Took me 10 minutes with an electric grinder/stuffer to do 1 12 inch test sausage.  I think that the meat was ground too small and that it might have been too warm. Not bad warm, just that I need to keep it much cooler (almost freezing)

  The spice mixture could be stronger but other then that, it is good.

  I cooked up my test link after pinching and twisting to try out that step. Very easy.

  Cooking was a bit interesting. I must have had a few tiny holes because the meat started to rupture the casing.  Mostly just looked weird, tasted good. They only problem I had that the casing wasn't crisp and didn't "snap" when eaten.  I fried the sausage in a pan on medium heat. I wonder if the broken casing had any effect on that part of it.

  All in all, more time consuming then I realized. The end result just needs a little tweeking. Was good with just a plain dijon mustard.  Will try another one tonight but put it on the BBQ

  BTW, they are English bangers.

  -Muiriath