[Sca-cooks] On-line Pennsic Pity Party

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sun May 21 10:07:05 PDT 2006

On 5/21/06 3:57 AM, "RUTH EARLAND" <rtannahill at verizon.net> wrote:

> I love the idea. Since I just started a new job, I am not eligible for
> vacation time this year. So no Pennsic.
>
> I also like the suggestion of sharing party recipes. As an addition to that,
> maybe people would be willing to share their "no s--- there I was" Pennsic
> cooking stories. I sometimes run a class on kitchenless cooking, and I was
> thiniking about putting together a collection of stories about the creative
> solutions people have found to overcome the unique challenges people faced
> at Pennsic, the ultimate primitive site.
>
> Berelinde
> Barony of Settmour Swamp, EK

It does not have to be Pennsic, does it?  Those of us who have never made
The SCA Hajj <grin> have still had some interesting experiences under
primitive circumstances.

The population of Caid leans toward "city kids", myself included.  Some of
our solutions to situations have been interesting indeed, frequently
"re-inventing the wheel" as necessary.  20-mumble years ago, my first
camping trip since scout trips as a child, I found myself the first one
awake, no camp stove and a desperate need for coffee.  We were not allowed
to use downed wood from the park... But nobody said anything about
pinecones, which were there in abundance.  So I started a fire with
pinecones.  Good thing I was just heating water, it was Very Fragrant
Indeed.  I was =so= busted... But at least I had coffee.

Selene Colfox
Barony of Altavia, Caid