[Sca-cooks] Pre-1492 Spanish Cooking

Tom Vincent tom.vincent at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 14:27:49 PDT 2006

I don't know if this book has been mentioned to you, but I found it on the poisonpenpress website (http://www.poisonpenpress.com/cookery.html)

  Recipes from Banquet dels Quatre Barres (2nd edition) - $12.95
Translated by Thomas & Cynara McDonald (Master Thomas Longshanks & Mistress Aelfwynne Grythesdohter). These recipes are translated from Libre de Sent Sovi, which "represent the oldest surviving collection of recipes from the medieval Catalan cuisine
" A number of copies of this manuscript, designated by their location, survive, and the material is drawn from several of them. Dating is uncertain, but "the introduction to the Valencia manuscript places the date of the original at 1323
. For each recipe in this collection, we have provided a faithful transcription of the original text, a pseudo-literal translation, and our modern redaction." Recipes are divided into three sections: from the Valencia ms, the Barcelona ms, and ‘Other Recipes." Tr pb, spiral bound, 8-1/2x11, 46 pp, 24 recipes. Also includes menus & brief biblio.

Duriel