[Sca-cooks] retraction RE: Simple request of digest people

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Nov 1 04:46:47 PST 2006

On Nov 1, 2006, at 6:43 AM, otsisto wrote:

> I wasn't looking for accuracy. A word or more in the subject line
> is easier
> to identify then a number.

Well, yes. But we, as a group, so frequently go off-topic that
there's some risk of it being fairly meaningless. Of course, I could
also be wrong about that. Maybe there's a really easy way to do it.

> I made a request, not a demand.

I didn't think it was a demand, and don't recall suggesting that it
was, other than to state that if someone had to sit and set it up
manually each time, it might be seen as demanding on that person's
time, which is a very different animal.

> Many lists that I am on have made request of non digesters to trim
> their
> posts. I try to be considerate and do so.

Yes, and it's noticed and appreciated even by non-digest subscribers.

> I'm sorry to hear that my request
> is an imposition

I don't know where you heard that. Have I missed other posts in this
thread?

> and requires high tec knowledge to accomplish.

It might or might not; I don't know, which is why I raised the
possibility.

> Therefore I will retract my request.

Honestly, I don't see why you'd feel that's necessary. Since we're
being polite and reasonable people here, and not making demands, I
assumed you were asking, in essence, for a feasibility study of a
proposal. I thought it was an interesting idea (certainly worth
examining and commenting on; frankly, not all of them are), and that
I was taking part in a dialogue. I didn't think that I was speaking
Ex Cathedra or putting any final stamp of unacceptability on the idea.

If I was, I must use this amazing power only for good!

Seriously, though, if you go back and read what I wrote with an open
mind, was it disrespectful, angry or dismissive? If it were, I could
see reacting to it in this way, but I don't think it was any of those
things. If you feel otherwise, I am sorry.

Adamantius