[Sca-cooks] The 50th annual SCA-Cooks Thanksgiving list!

Georgia Foster jo_foster81 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 20 12:24:50 PST 2006

Once upon a holiday meal long long ago I made the mistake of trying to
broaden the horizons of my then-husbands family by introducing some
different items to the traditional Family Thanksgiving Meal (tm).

My ex-husbands mother responded to my buck to the traditional meal by taking
on preparation of the holiday meal all to herself.  For the last several
years we have been taking Thanksgiving at her home, and Christmas Day feast
at mine.  The one item I am permitted to make to contribute to the meal is
Sourdough bread rolls, which his mom LOVES but can't make raise.  Some day I
will let her in on the secret ... I add quick-rise yeast to mine to overcome
the altitude issue with traditional sourdough starter.

My own mother is too fragile to prepare a meal.  On Wednesday I will go to
the grocery and get the largest roasting chicken I can find, stuff it fore
and aft with a mixture of chopped apples and garlic and roast same.
Additionally, I will prepare a gravy with the pan drippings that will go
over garlic and bacon bits mashed potatoes and dressing ala Stove-top since
last year she fussed about the fresh herbs I used from my window garden.
There will also be frozen peas and carrots warmed in the microwave, some of
the rolls mentioned above, and apple turnovers for afters, which will
include a pint of good quality vanilla bean ice cream.

I would be derelict in my duties as a daughter if I were to ignore my own
mother on such a holiday meal, but I can not sit in the same room with
mother’s husband and repress the urge to kill him for more than ten minutes.
  SO … I prepare the meal and take it to her … and under the rules of good
form, I make enough for him too.  I will not eat it with him.  There are
limits.  There is a reason for the loathing that I will not belabor the list
with.

Jo (Georgia L.) Foster
jo_foster81 at hotmail.com

Never knock on death's door........ Ring the doorbell and run. He hates
that.