[Sca-cooks] The 50th annual SCA-Cooks Thanksgiving list!

Ysabeau lady.ysabeau at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 09:40:29 PST 2006

I'm going to my cousin's house for dinner so I'm struggling between doing
the traditional thing or trying to cater to my other cousin's vegan diet. I
keep finding cool recipes but they all have either milk, eggs, or butter.
So, I'm going to make sweet potato samosas and just leave some of the
filling for him to eat. I can't make the dough without at least egg or
butter to help hold it together and make it flaky. I'm also thinking about
the savory toasted cheese now...he won't eat it but there are 8 other people
who will! I'm also making my chocolate pecan pie.

So, how would you handle the dilemma of having one person in a group who is
vegan? My cousin is cooking so she is making tofurkey (yech!) and regular
turkey...she is also basically making duplicates of almost every dish...a
special vegan cake (they use 7-up and applesauce instead of eggs and
oil?!?!),  mashed potatos with no butter butter or milk, plain green beans,
etc. I know he is family, but how far would you go to accomodate one
person's special diet before telling them to bring their own food? I can't
really complain because I'm not doing it, but still...

Ysabeau