[Sca-cooks] only one cookbook

Sandragood@aol.com Sandragood at aol.com
Wed Oct 11 15:17:18 PDT 2006

In a message dated 10/11/2006 4:19:29 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu writes:

As to  one cookbook???
I don't recall ever having just one  cookbook.

Johnnae

Glad to know I'm not alone.  I couldn't think of just one.

But you mentioned great sources for someone starting out with early  period.
Several of them are reads without recipes, but full of good  information.
Apicius is another, earlier time, but from the sounds of it  the new version is
worth the price.

My personal favorite first 3 historical-type books were...

An Ordinance of Pottage (I believe this is out of print)
Curye on Inglysch (aka Forme of Curye and still available)
and Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books (I've seen this one available in
paperback)

but then there was...

Pleyn Delit
The Viandier of Taillevent
The Vivendier
Medieval Arab Cookery
Daz Buch von Guter Spise (Melitta Weiss Adamson, English translation)

It's been years since I've seen the copy Cariadoc put together.  I  know it
included many different books (like one of the French ones  above).  I think
Sir Kilnelm Digbie's Closet, possibly the original  Baghdad Cookery book (I
can't remember), maybe the Icelandic  source.  It's worth the investment even if
you can invest in the  hard cover copies.  I borrowed a copy from a friend many
years ago and HAD  to invest in some of the hard copies.  He's included some
that are  becoming really hard to find.

Liz