[Sca-cooks] Indian Pudding

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 31 12:05:36 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
My family loves this one.  This one came from a Girl Scout Council
cookbook.  However, it is not very different from one from the
Williamsberg Cookery Book, where it was fresh cut corn and bread crumbs
of course.

Corn Puddin

 16 oz can whole kernal corn, drained
 16 oz can creamed corn
 1 cup milk
 3 beaten eggs
 1 tsp salt
 2 tsp sugar
 lots of pepper
 1/2 cup saltine cracker crumbs
 butter - the size of an egg
< < < < < < < < < < < <

This looks really tasty and a lot like some puddings I have had before.  I
am not certain this was the original dish referenced as Indian Pudding.  My
impression of Indian Pudding is that it is a boiled/simmered, sweetened
cornmeal dish.  the recipe I use is from Jeff Smith's "Frugal Gourmet", page
288, and is thusly prepared:

1 cup cornmeal
.5 cup black molasses
.25 cup sugar
.25 cup butter
.25 teaspoon salt
.25 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
6 cups hot milk

He mixes all together except 3 cups of the hot milk, bake in covered bean
pot at 400F until boiling (I started mine on stovetop until simmering, then
into oven, with good success).  Add 3 more cups hot milk, and bake covered
at 275F for 4 to 6 hours until all obsorbed, and thickened.  Stir every half
hour.  I suspect consistency is a matter of personal taste.  He claims this
was also the "Hasty Pudding" of legend and lore.  Quick, simple and no fuss.

Hope this is helpful.

niccolo difrancesco