[Sca-cooks] chorizo

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Sep 18 03:48:38 PDT 2006

On Sep 17, 2006, at 11:43 AM, Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> I know the chorizo from Portugal that I can get at our local
> spanish import store comes as big long
> links, like kielbasa. ditto the mexican chorizo that my portuguese
> relatives serve on christmas
> morning (heh. when I brought them the portuguese stuff as a treat I
> was informed that that was
> not "real" chorizo. *shrug*!)
>
> its all dark red and rather greasy and very spicey (at least to my
> very non-capsicum eatin' palate).

As far as I know, chorizo is sem-dry and/or smoked, packed into a
casing, everywhere on the planet _except_ for Mexico and
corresponding communities/restaurants/markets. I've had Spanish,
Portuguese, Dominican, Cuban, Argentine, and Puerto Rican styles so
far, and generally they're in a range from a lightly smoked kielbasa
or a French saucisson al'ail to Genoa-salami-or-pepperoni-dry.
Capsicum content varies, too. Chili-avoiders might look for a
Dominican brand; they tend to contain stuff like cream and cilantro.

Adamantius