[Sca-cooks] Period Greek Recipes

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Apr 3 11:29:57 PDT 2007

On Apr 3, 2007, at 2:03 PM, Vitaliano Vincenzi wrote:

> Where I need help is on the Greek course. I am thinking about serving
> souvlaki on pita's, but would like to find some resources for this.
> Any
> good suggestions for books or online resources for period versions of
> this?

I'd suspect these are relatively modern additions to the cuisine of
Greece, via the Turks. Anthimus was a very early-period Byzantine
writing medical advice, some of which took the form of recipes, to
the King of the Franks in the 6th century CE. This might reflect some
Greek influence (and probably some Frankish, as well). But the whole
gamut of meat-on-a-stick dishes is probably derived from nomadic
traditions (especially when you consider their prevalence everywhere
else East of Greece as far as China, if not beyond), and probably
introduced to the Greeks relatively late in SCA period.

> I have found a few web sites with some information, but would love
> to get a book on period Greek cuisine, if such exists. I know about
> "The
> Deipnosophists" but from what I can see there are several books - but
> which one would be what I want?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help. I am off to the library on Thursday as
> well to do some serious research. :)

Looking at Archestratus' "The Life of Luxury", I see that it appears
to have only seafood recipes, mostly similar to Apicius...

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04