[Sca-cooks] OOP Icing Question

Lisa ladyemp at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 4 10:33:24 PDT 2007

> But the glory of royal icing is that it *is* cement.... ;-) There are
> buttercreams that are more heat-resistant than others--you need to use a
> fat that stays solid at higher temperatures than butter (IOW a white
> vegetable fat), and potentially a stabilizer. I have heard that Italian
> meringue buttercream is more temperature-resistant than Swiss.
>
> Or you can use poured or rolled fondant. I would go with the rolled
> fondant, and keep the cake cool, but not cold, until it's time to cut it.
>
> Margaret FitzWilliam
> Nordskogen
> Northshield

I've done several outdoors wedding cakes with no problem using buttercream.
I don't have the exact measurements at hand, but the one I always used was
the Wilton's practice icing.  Basically it's Crisco (don't use off brands,
they seem to have a lower melt point and they're more fluffed air than
crisco), water, powdered sugar, and vanilla or your choice of other
flavorings.  If you're wanting the icing to stay pure white, stay with clear
flavorings (I always used the clear vanilla).  As earlier posted, you don't
want to leave it in direct sunlight or extreme heat, but a shaded area
normally is fine as long as it's not out there for hours.  I've never used
fondant myself, as I really don't enjoy the flavor of Fondant, or how much
harder it is to cut.

Elizabeta