[Sca-cooks] Corn Flakes (Was: Period Baklava)

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 5 13:39:31 PDT 2007

On Apr 5, 2007, at 4:05 PM, otsisto wrote:

> You do not cook phyllo dough before filling. You treat it like pie
> dough.
> Roll into thin sheets, sometimes you wrap and put into frig. for a
> while
> then layer with butter, making sure you put the nuts, spices and
> sugar in
> the middle, pre cut then bake.
> Where do people find that the phyllo dough is cooked/baked before
> hand?

_You_ don't do it, but it was my understanding it's done at the
factory; I'll look for more specific info on the process. Obviously
it's not baked until crisp, but I do recall reading (I thought in one
of Harold McGee's books) that the rollers in the final shaping
process are heated to set the gluten. Have you noticed that you can't
really knead it back into a ball?

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04