[Sca-cooks] Corn Flakes (Was: Period Baklava)

otsisto otsisto at socket.net
Fri Apr 6 00:21:44 PDT 2007

recipe ( variations)
Fillo
8 cps of all-purpose flour
2 tsps of raki (or white vinegar)
2 tsps of extra virgin olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
1 1/4 - 1 1/3 cups of hot water
___
5 cps white flour
5 tsps  oil
2-1/2 cps of water
Pinch  salt
2 tsps  vinegar

-----Original Message-----
I've never seen a recipe for phyllo, which is precisely my point. I have
read descriptions of the process. I've also seen recipes for strudel dough,
varak/borek, and a variety of others, but while many
of them call for a dough, none of them were Greek or specifically
called the final product phyllo; they were recipes for various pastry
sheets that appeared in some ways like phyllo, but also might have
been like lasagne, spring roll wrappers, strudel, etc. The only thing
I can be absolutely certain of is their similarity to phyllo in that
they produce a wheat-flour-based sheet of pastry rolled and/or
stacked in layers. The rest may still be supposition.

One of the things I'm trying to avoid is the kind of circular logic
that says We Know X About Phyllo because We Know X1 About Something
We Believe To Be Similar.

I recall reading a pretty detailed description someplace; I thought
it was in Harold McGee's On Food And Cooking, but I now can't find
the passage. I'll look for it again; there's a limited number of
places it would be if it's anywhere. It's also conceivable that what
I read was wrong, or that I'm remembering it incorrectly (for
example, a description of making qatif), but I doubt it. I'm much
more likely to forget something I read than to remember something I
didn't read...

If I can find the reference I'll post it. The Web certainly seems
like a copious source of the same three or four articles used over
and over again, much supposition that phyllo, borek, and strudel are
absolutely identical in all ways, except, perhaps, in use, and that
virtually nobody makes real phyllo anymore at home.

So far I haven't seen any recipes for making phyllo at home (recipes
for strudel or borek don't count; a premise being tested can't really
be used as evidence).

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04