[Sca-cooks] Phyllo Re: Corn Flakes (Was: Period Baklava)

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri Apr 6 00:38:33 PDT 2007

>I've never seen a recipe for phyllo, which is precisely my point. I
>have read descriptions of the process. I've also seen recipes for
>strudel dough, varak/borek, and a variety of others, but while many
>of them call for a dough, none of them were Greek or specifically
>called the final product phyllo; they were recipes for various pastry
>sheets that appeared in some ways like phyllo, but also might have
>been like lasagne, spring roll wrappers, strudel, etc. The only thing
>I can be absolutely certain of is their similarity to phyllo in that
>they produce a wheat-flour-based sheet of pastry rolled and/or
>stacked in layers. The rest may still be supposition.

I don't think you can claim that Phyllo is Greek and only Greek.  The
same dough is used with many names, and sometimes the same name is
used for different recipes.  B modern recipes aren't hard to find.
Many Middle Eastern books have a description, if not an actual
recipe.  A short websearch found quite a few.   Flour, water, and a
little salt.  Sometimes a little vinegar to make the gluten relax,
and oil to make it easier to roll.  Rolled out until you can see
through it

http://www.recipelink.com/mf/0/71204 "My Grandmother made it all the
time. Greek or not, fillo is phylo is strudel dough.:
http://www.greekcuisine.com/oldsite/detail.html?RecipeID=4
http://greekfood.about.com/od/greekbreadspitas/r/phyllo.htm
http://www.baking911.com/recipes/pastry/phyllo.htm
http://astray.com/recipes/?show=Homemade%20phyllo%20pastry