[Sca-cooks] OOP - Nectar de Rhubarbe

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 6 14:20:35 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: sca-cooks-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org
[mailto:sca-cooks-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org]On Behalf Of Patrick
Levesque
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 8:38 PM
To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] OOP - Nectar de Rhubarbe

Greetings!

Fairway in  New York seems to hold Rhubarb Cider (what is referred to in the
NY Times article) for 6.99 a bottle (US currency).

Mind you, it's probably not that hard to make. Rhubarb, sugar, water, and a
quick stop by the local brewing shop to rent the CO2 machine (I'm sorry, I
have no clue what it's called in English - actually, I'm not even sure what
it's called in French!).

Petru  > > > > >> >

HAving tasted mead made from both grapefruit and pomegranate, I would say
that there is probably a fair bit of testing and development to get a
palatable rhubarb cider.  It would be scads of fun trying, too!  The
aforementioned grapefruit and pomegranate showed what happens when you
ferment all the sugars out of these fruits and add alcohol.  Think about the
flavors of the pith in both of these fruits and the bitter, sharp flavors
that are offset by the suigars in the juices.  Distill all that bitter and
astringent down, and you get the flavors I got to taste (we added apple
cider to the pomegranate, and it got great improvements).

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco