[Sca-cooks] OOP Icing Question

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 8 18:51:09 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
OK, i'm not much of a cake baker or frosting maker, but, well, i get
this "frisson" when someone says "buttercream" and in the same breath
says "make with Crisco". Now, i am not qualified to comment on the
comparative qualities of frosting made with Crisco vs. made with
butter. But, well, i'm just wondering, how can one call it
"buttercream" if there's no butter in it?  > > > > > >

You're right on that.

I suspect that the Crisco was not only inexpensive sub for the butter . . .
but is also solid at higher temps.  That could be a considered alternative
to the question that started the thread . . . though it would be a
Criscocream frosting instead of buttercream.  I wonder if you can make an
italian syle Criscocream the same way with the heated syrup . . . .

niccolo difrancesco