[Sca-cooks] OOP Icing Question

Lisa ladyemp at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 8 20:07:12 PDT 2007

> I am sorry Elizabeta, but no amount of "butter flavoring" will disguise
the flavor of
> Crisco.  Blech!  Yech!  Ick!  Icky! Icky! Petooey!  I hate criscocream
frostings.  They
> are an utter abomination.  And the people who make them and like them
should be rounded
> up and confined to leper colonies.  The only thing that Crisco is good for
is for greasing
> baking pans.
>
> Years ago, I had a boss who made "shortbread" cookies who substituted
crisco for butter.
> They were the most gawd-awful cookies I have ever tasted.  Nasty, nasty,
nasty!

> And one of these days, I will tell you how I really feel about Crisco ...
:-)

> Huette

I can respect your opinion and tastes Huette, although I have not had any
complaints about taste on my cakes or icing. :)  The main reason for the
substitution is to keep the icing pure white for wedding cakes.  Most people
don't want an off white wedding cake, and I've tried the coloring that's
supposed to take it back to white without much luck.  I do agree that a true
"buttercream" icing should be made with butter, but considering the need for
the pure white and the frequent temperature issues, I found Crisco a
suitable substitute, although you would never catch me using a generic brand
shortening.  I made that mistake once and never made it again, thank
goodness it was a practice icing when I was still learning to decorate.

Elizabeta