[Sca-cooks] Somewhat OOP Portable Soup Question

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Apr 11 13:10:03 PDT 2007

"Portable soup" was being used by the British Navy around 1750, when ships
carried 50 pounds of the stuff for every 100 men.  The stuff has a
paste-like consistency and I suspect 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon in a cup of
water for a broth-like consistency (roughly the reconstitution of bullion)
is what you're looking for.

Lewis and Clark only had 193 pounds of portable soup, prepared by Francois
Baillet, a Philadelphia cook, for the Purveyor of Public Supplies at a cost
of $289.50.  The reciept for the concentrate can be found in the National
Archives.  Most of it was eaten between September 14 and September 20, 1805
at Killed Colt Camp in the Bitterroots according to the Journals.

Bear