[Sca-cooks] Somewhat OOP Portable Soup Question

silverr0se at aol.com silverr0se at aol.com
Wed Apr 11 15:32:23 PDT 2007

Duh! Yes it does! Thanks!

Renata

-----Original Message-----
From: adamantius1 at verizon.net
To: sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org
Sent: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:50 AM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Somewhat OOP Portable Soup Question

On Apr 11, 2007, at 1:39 PM, silverr0se at aol.com wrote:

> My previous comments on bacon notwithstanding, I am trying to take
> more control over what foods I am putting in my body.
>
> To this end, I have pulled the the Portable Soup recipe out of the
> Lewis & Clark cookbook, thinking to use it to replace the cup-of-
> noodles i normally eat for breakfast. I am not up to coffee 1st
> thing in the morning, so the hot broth from the c-o-n works great
> for me. c-o-n, along with other commercial dry soups have a lot of
> salt and other stuff I wouldn't mind getting rid of if a tasty
> substitute can be found.
>
> Portable Soup, for those who don't have the L&C cookbook, is
> essentally de-fatted, hyper-reduced stock that does not need to be
> refrigeratated. L&C started their 1803 expedition with about 800
> pounds of it.
>
> But while the book gives the recipe for making it, it does not give
> instructions for re-constituting it. Before I go thru about 3 days
> of boiling oxtails, I would like to know how much the final product
> yields.
>
> Has anyone made it and/or does anyone know the PS/water ratio?
>
> Thanks!

The modern standard wisdom on this is that if you were making regular
soup/stock, you get approximately one quart per pound of meat and
bones, perhaps minus some reduction (ideally, not much because you're
not supposed to be boiling this stuff at a full, rolling boil). IOW,
you start with that much water and end up with something reasonably
approaching that amount. So, if your recipe calls for five pounds of
oxtails, it should make, in theory, something like five quarts of
soup, which you then reduce to whatever volume it becomes, but then
reconstitute to something, once again, close to five quarts. If
there's not a lot of salt to concentrate, you might want to
reconstitute with less water to make it stronger, but this would
probably be a pretty good rule of thumb, as they say.

Does that make any sense?

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04