[Sca-cooks] odd feast I went to

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 19 11:28:17 PDT 2007

I recently (last weekend) went to an event called Night on the Town.  The
feast staff was headed up by a fellow named Sir Xenophon Vaughn who I
understand wanted to do certain things on the menu way out of range of the
budget so he footed the remainder of the bill himself.  Very interesting
though.  One person from each table was called up to serve the table.  Then
Sir Xenophon came out and addressed the assembled crowd and announced that
there were five courses and all would come out at the same time because the
kitchen staff also wanted to sit down to eat.  All the serving trays were
the decorative but disposable round metal type trays.  It began with a bowl
of bread slices of different hearty breads (no butter at least at our table)
the first meat one coming had roast beef surrounded by medallions of beets
and turnips roasted.  The second was chicken served on top of asparagus, the
third was lamb roast on top of peas (I may have the chicken and lamb mixed
up in order and which veggies), the fourth was a pork rib roast on top of
pickled red cabbage.  None came out sliced or with serving utensils.
Although I like everything that was on the menu, I, for one, did not like
the idea of all this stuff on the table (under ceiling fans) at the same
time.  What are your thoughts on this type of serving?

Cariad a heddwch (love and peace)

Dame Olwen the Odd
Laurel to Lady Katherine O'Carroll
Order of the Pearl