[Sca-cooks] Other list

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Sun Apr 22 21:32:48 PDT 2007

I've been a member of the Medieval Encampments list almost since it's
beginning under Mistress Mira Silverlock (who is happily settled down to
being the mother she has always wanted to be, but the cards didn't stack up
right until the last few years).

You did get in at a particularly bad time Gunthar.  I think that the how to
make a CostCo Garage look period hit someone on a sensitive spot and they
freaked.  The rest of the list went off the deep end and wallowed around for
a while.  Same thing happens with costume lists every once in a while when
someone mentions velour or any of the other dead dinosaur fabrics.  Then
someone eats their chocolate and the world comes back into perspective.

Medieval Encampments was never meant to be Authenticity city.  It was
supposed to be devoted to making your encampment better, one step at a time
and it does that mostly.  Tents have always been the SCA bug-a-boo because
they are expensive and tend to look "strange and difficult".  Since I can't
see my 16th century self coming out of a Norse A Frame or Geteld, or
whatever that thing is supposed to be I smile gently and wait until someone
persuades me that the 100 yards of canvas in my garage really do deserve to
be made into a many sided pavilino (set up in about 15 minutes, including
unloading.)  Or I can trade it for the tent of my dreams!

I personally don't like the garages because I've seen them blow over even
when staked in wet ground.  Those big metal pieces Hurt.

Another group that started this year is
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCACreativeFrugality/  It is specifically
aimed at those who need work arounds until they get a bit more settled or
maybe that's all they can ever do.  At least they are trying to do something
that won't offend the eye the way my bright blue monstrosity does!

As a costumer, I tend to think of the work-arounds as the velour/McCall's
Pattern/Polyester.  As a cook it's the Potatoes/Tomatoes/rhubarb of the SCA
worlds :-/

Wanda