[Sca-cooks] Other list

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Mon Apr 23 03:06:52 PDT 2007

At 03:01 AM 4/23/2007, you wrote:
> >As to painting canvas, use house paint!! That latex stuff you put on the
> >walls sticks to canvas just fine, and covers just fine.  I've got a table
> >top covered in canvas that I painted 13 years ago, and the paint on it is
> >just fine. It's the canvas wearing at the edges of the table, and the
> >accumulated grime from weather that is making it look tacky.
>
>I've heard of using house paint on canvas to make floor coverings,
>but not sure about using it for a tent. You might want to test first.
>Are you coloring the whole canvas or just a design? Paint might
>effect the waterproofness of the canvas, which depends on it being
>able to absorb enough water to swell.  The paint might crack where it
>is folded.  It also could effect the flammability, which might not
>matter for most people, but might if you are using the tent to forge.
>I'd suggest dye, myself.
>
>Ranvaig

Master Ivar Hakonarson, in the West, has architectural designs-
arches, etc- on his bell wedge, and he had success with latex house
paint, thinned with water. IIRC, you don't just brush it on, but work
it into the weave a bit. Last time I saw his pavilion, it was 15+
years old and going great.

I have mottoes written on the valances of my pavilion (Supplex nylon)
and I just used a paint pen. On the valances it doesn't really matter
if the paint affects water resistance or not.

'Lainie